Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bright and Bold Baby Shower


A few months back I had the pleasure of hosting (my first) baby shower for a dear friend of mine named Jen. I decided to go with bold, bright, and exotic colors. The shower was held in a park on the bluff overlooking the town. Anytime one makes a cake for an outdoor event the cake filling and icing should always be considered. I made a lemon cake with Bavarian cream filling. The icing was a recipe made mostly of powdered sugar, hi-ratio shortening, flavor, and a little water. What that gives you is a smooth icing that will not melt in a humid outdoor climate. The flowers on the cake are made from gumpaste and I hand painted the petals.I look forward to the opportunity to make many more baby shower cakes and maybe baby's birthday cakes too.

(Disclaimer: Most of you know that the reason I haven't written on my blog in quite a while is because I had a baby myself. Now that she is a little older I will begin pursuing my confectionery dreams in cake delights...so stay tuned).

No comments: