Sunday, March 13, 2011

Happy Birthday For A Cause

This weekend I had the privilege of creating a cake for dual purpose; a friend's birthday and a great cause. Every year for the past five years my buddy Jeff hosts a poker tournament for charity. One lucky winner will donate the proceeds of a $20 buy-in per person to their favorite charity.

My yummy creation was a two-tier German chocolate cake covered in coconut cream frosting and marshmallow fondant. This was my first stab at marshmallow fondant and I was moderately pleased with the result. Home-made fondant is very malleable, but almost a little too much. I found it a little flimsy and wobbly to work with. What I do appreciate most however is its taste. Often times I find frosting can overwhelm the filling in a cake and I found the marshmallow fondant to compliment my coconut and pecan filling in the most subtle of ways. The shapes on the top layer and Aces are made from royal icing.

No comments: