Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Lux Summer Art Camp Show



Last Thursday was Lux Art Institute's annual summer art camp show which I have been a part of for the third year in a row. This year's summer art camp was a huge success with lots of antiquated and unseasoned students and an amazing end of the summer art show that boasted almost 300 guests. For five weeks from July to August students came to Lux twice a week to create and express in a multitude of mediums. This year was also exceptional because we were able to award 10 scholarships to students from around the north county and San Diego area.

My cake, which was my final project for Cake Decorating II, served a duel purpose in fulfilling the sweet teeth of some of our invited guests. Of course my tiny creation was hardly enough, so my counter-part came up with the brilliant idea of asking for cupcake donations (we received as many cupcakes as guests). My conception was a three layer white cake filled with vanilla cream frosting and covered in fondant. The embellishments were constructed with royal icing add-ons that took a week to dry and about an hour to construct. The bottom layer was crafted in brush embroidery and lace in royal icing and the flowers on top are gumpaste. By far the longest cake I've worked on so far, drafting almost 12 hours from bake to finish. Some people asked how I could allow anyone to eat it which prompted me to reflect on the differences between edible art and traditional media. I have come to the conclusion that though my cake is fleeting, I will dream that it evokes the same happiness that one feels when looking at the work of a child.

If you'd like to take a look at pics of the summer art camp show and to learn more about Lux Art Institute, check out Lux's facebook: Lux Art Institute Facebook and website: Lux Art Institute

1 comment:

'Anake Anuhea said...

Aunteeeeeeeeee ~ This is FABULOUS and proof that if we s-t-r-e-t-c-h our minds and spirits we can create delicious joy and happiness in our lives. Your cake and description of it are wonderful works of art. Now I know why I've been disappointed the last few weeks of regularly checking your site and seeing nothing new. You've been busy! Love it! Love it! Love it! Love you! Love you! Love you! 'Anake Anuhea