Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Klimt Inspired Cake



Well I have to say this cake fully redeemed what little ability I have mustered so far after last week's unsightly disaster.

Having a favorite artist is a hard thing to have when your an artist because there are so many to choose from. I've found that I have changed my favorite artist over the years according to my interests and changing style. Eva Hesse was a long time fav, Matthew Ritchie is definitely still up there, and recently Gustav Klimt has won my favor. His heavily induced patterns in gold leaf and ochre entices my senses. I love early and mid century textiles and wallpapers and Klimt exemplifies the height of Art Nouveau. My cake was inspired by the Stoclet Frieze which was created from 1905-1909 and is located at Stoclet Palace in Brussels. The cake is a delish double chocolate chocolate and I gather may not be for the faint at heart. I chose mint buttercream frosting which I hope will make the cake taste like a peppermint patty. Yum!

No comments: