Monday, June 27, 2011

Cheese! It's Your Birthday!

This weekend was a turning point in my very early cake career. Aside from launching my website, which you can find here, I made my first sculpture cake and absolutely loved it! I'm not sure why it took me so long to make such a cake since my background is in art and sculpture is one of my favorite mediums. I made this camera cake for a friend of mine who celebrated his 30th birthday yesterday and who happens to be a photographer. From baking to finish I completed the cake in record time, a whopping 5 1/2 hours, which is amazing fast for any sort of cake. I went with chocolate hazelnut pound cake, Nutella (the birthday boys fav), and french vanilla cream crumb coat and chocolate fondant. To assemble the cake I baked a 9 inch square and a 9 inch circle. I halved the square cake and used a tumbler to cut out smaller circles for the lens. After I spread the Nutella in between layers, I arranged the cakes together, then slathered french vanilla cream all over, and then rolled the chocolate fondant over. The rest was a piece of cake:) I notice that when creating a sculpture cake what makes it are the details. The more details, the better the cake sculpture. Stay tuned for more fun sculpture cakes in the future.

No comments: