Friday, July 29, 2011

Cleopatra and the Blossoming Egyptologist

This week I had the privilege of creating a birthday cake inspired by Cleopatra and the Nile for a little girl aspiring to be an Egyptologist. When I was ten I remember wanting to be a veterinarian, doctor, scientist, and artist (usually in the same day). There aren't very many children who know what they want to do with the rest of their lives at age ten. I fortunately was able to meet such an inspiring little girl.



The cake was a three-tier chocolately-chocolate covered in fondant. The reed grass and papyrus was made of gumpaste and Cleopatra was carved from rice krispy and modeling chocolate and dusted in gold luster dust. The hieroglyphics were hand painted and the top of the cake was also made from rice krispy which helped to keep the top light. I copied the hieroglyphics from the internet which worked in my favor because I later found out that the budding Egyptologist dabbles in a little hieroglyphic reading. This cake was one of my hardest to date but also the most fun. 




No comments: